6 BEST High Protein Dairy Free Snacks - Recipes and Packaged
Dairy-free diets have become increasingly popular in recent years, and for good reason. Many people suffer from lactose intolerance, allergies, or other digestive issues that make consuming dairy products difficult. However, it can be challenging to find snacks that are both high in protein and dairy-free. Luckily, there are many delicious and nutritious options to choose from that are protein-packed and zero dairy!
In this article, we will explore some of the best high-protein dairy-free snacks, both in the form of easy homemade recipes and store bought options.
1. Roasted chickpeas
Chickpeas are a great source of plant-based protein, fiber, and essential vitamins and minerals. Roasted chickpeas are a convenient and delicious way to enjoy the health benefits of this superfood. With protein values ranging from 5-7 grams per serving, they can help keep you feeling full and satisfied between meals.
You can also make this high protein snack at home. Simply toss canned chickpeas with a spice mixture of your choice, and roast them in the oven for 20-25 minutes until crispy and golden brown. Try using olive oil, salt, paprika, and garlic powder - we love the end flavor! Finally, take your roasted chickpeas out of the oven and enjoy them as a snack on their own or add them to salads, grain bowls, or trail mix for an extra protein boost!
Or, if you’re low on time and want to save yourself the hassle, here are our top 2 roasted chickpeas options available in the market. These snacks come in a variety of flavors, from sea salt to spicy sriracha, and make for great high protein dairy free snacks.
2. Crunchy Roasted Edamame Beans
Edamame beans are a great source of plant-based protein and a popular snack option in many parts of the world. These young beans are packed with protein, offering up to 17 grams of protein per 100 grams.
Dry roasted edamame beans are a popular variation of this snack, as they are crispy and flavorful, and can be enjoyed on their own or added to salads, trail mix, and other recipes.
To make your own dry roasted edamame beans at home, simply toss them in a bit of olive oil and seasonings of your choice, and roast them in the oven until crispy.
Fortunately, edamame beans are readily available as healthy snacks in stores. Dry roasted crunchy edamame beans are packed with protein and are completely dairy free. The Only Bean makes delicious dry roasted edamame beans in 3 flavors - sea salt, buffalo, and sriracha. Each serving is packed with 14gs of protein!
3. Protein Bars
Everyone knows protein bars are a convenient and tasty way to get a quick protein boost on the go. However, many protein bars contain dairy, so it's important to read the label before purchasing.
Tip: Look for bars made with plant-based protein sources like pea protein, brown rice protein, or soy protein.
Dairy free protein bars are readily available in the market and the options we love are packed with 12-14g of protein per serving!
However, if you’re feeling creative, we have a great recipe to make easy homemade protein bars!
- 1 cup of rolled oats
- 1 cup of pitted dates
- 1 cup of raw almonds
- 1/2 cup of protein powder (choose a dairy-free option)
- 1/4 cup of maple syrup
- 1/4 cup of almond butter
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Toss all nuts and oats into a food processor and heat vanilla extract, almond butter and maple syrup in a saucepan before stirring in protein powder and other mixtures together. Finally, press the mixture into a baking sheet and let it chill in the fridge. Voila! Your own homemade protein bars!
4. Jerky and beef sticks
When it comes to high protein, dairy-free snacks, jerky is a fantastic option that is both delicious and nutritious. With up to 10 grams of protein per serving, jerky is a great way to fuel your body and satisfy your hunger. Plus, it's easy to find store-bought options that are dairy-free and come in a variety of flavors, such as beef, turkey, and salmon.
Here are our top picks for best high protein jerky snacks:
- Primal Strips - These vegan jerky strips are made from seitan, a protein-rich wheat gluten, and come in a variety of flavors like Hickory Smoked and Teriyaki.
- EPIC Provisions - Known for their high-quality meat snacks, EPIC offers a variety of beef and turkey jerky options that are dairy-free and made with natural ingredients.
- Krave Jerky - This brand offers a wide range of jerky flavors, including turkey, pork, and beef options that are all gluten-free and dairy-free.
- Country Archer - Their beef and turkey jerky options are free from artificial ingredients and preservatives, making them a great choice for a natural and high protein snack.
These store-bought options range in protein content from 6-10 grams per serving, making them a great option for those looking for a high protein, dairy-free snack on-the-go.
Smoothies are a great source of protein for those who struggle to eat throughout the day. This high protein snack can be made in a variety of ways and mostly depends on your choice of ingredients. To ensure an optimum protein level in your smoothie, here are some things you can add:
- Plant based protein powder made from pea, hemp, and brown rice proteins.
- Nuts including almonds, cashews, walnuts.
- Seeds like chia, flax, or hemp.
- Protein-rich dairy free yogurt.
- Peanut butter, almond butter, or cashew butter.
Combine any of these high protein sources with other ingredients like fruits, vegetables, dairy free milk options, and powders to create the smoothie of your choice. Some easy homemade recipes we like are:
6. Trail Mix
Trail mix is a great option for a high protein, dairy-free snack that is both convenient and customizable. With a variety of nuts, seeds, and dried fruits, trail mix can provide a boost of energy and protein to keep you going throughout the day. In fact, a serving of trail mix can provide up to 7 grams of protein per serving.
Making your own trail mix at home allows you to customize the ingredients to your liking, such as including almonds, cashews, pumpkin seeds, and dried cranberries.
Some tasty combinations are:
- Almond Joy Trail Mix: Combine unsweetened coconut flakes, raw almonds, dark chocolate chips, and dried cranberries for a sweet and satisfying trail mix that provides a mix of healthy fats, protein, and antioxidants.
- Tropical Trail Mix: Combine unsalted macadamia nuts, cashews, dried mango, and banana chips for a delicious and filling mix that provides a boost of energy and protein.
- Nut-Free Trail Mix: Combine pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, unsweetened dried cranberries, and dark chocolate chips for a nut-free option that is still protein-packed and satisfying.
Alternatively, there are several store-bought options available that are dairy-free and contain a variety of ingredients, including coconut chips, dark chocolate chips, and even protein-packed chickpeas.
There are several high protein dairy free snack options, both as easy homemade recipes, and as store bought packaged snacks. Eating healthy while focusing on protein and avoiding dairy can be a struggle or a compromise on flavor.
However, thankfully, we now not only have creative recipes that can be made in minutes, but also plenty of snacks that are high protein AND dairy free, as outlined in this article above.